Friday, November 1, 2013

Understanding love

     Few days ago, my heart was quite heavy because I almost put myself in a very tempting situation. Thank God that He helped me keep from doing things not glorifying to Him. As I was listening to a song declaring God's love, it suddenly dawned on me. Do I really love the Lord as I say it? What does it really mean when you love someone? I keep on singing things about loving my God but, do I really mean it if I keep on letting Him down or almost grieving him?

     So I asked some of my friends what does loving someone really means. Here are some of their answers:
          1. if you respect the person
          2. you can accept the person. No ifs, no buts. Accept even his bad attitudes.
          3. if you're willing to sacrifice your time and everything just to be with him. Even if he doesn't meet your standards/qualifications/expectations, you will still want to be with him.
          4. you show concern and always think about the person.

     Thinking about all these things, I remember how God loved me. He accepted me in my lowliest state. In my grossiest attitude. He even sacrificed His life for me, just to be with me in His palace. He doesn't require anything of me. He always thinks about me and is very concerned with me. And I was thinking, can I reciprocate that love? At times I can't even give an hour or two exclusively for Him. I prioritize other things (even ministry) before Him. I sometimes lack commitment in my ministry.

    I continued reflecting about it after rendering overtime at work. There is this one answer by a friend that at first I didn't agree. But it keeps on bugging my mind. He said that loving someone depends if that person loves him back. I was debating on it in my mind. Will you only love someone if the person loves you back? But the Lord is teaching us to love unconditionally..

    But upon meditating upon everything, the Lord impressed something to me. He told me, "Maryel, you love because I first love you. You don't need to do anything. You don't need to prove to me that you love me. I just want you to respond to my love." And then it hit me. I don't need to measure up because I can't surpass what God has done for me. He just want me to respond to the love that He's offering. It's not about any ritual, tradition or religion. Not the "how to's" but a natural response to His love. By that, I can truly say that I love Him.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said. Love has greatest meaning to us. Love is more powerful than any other miraculous ways. And the biggest queston to me is "Why God loves us so?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is a decision.. and once you have decided to love someone, by God's grace and example- we learn how to love that person unconditionally as well.

    ReplyDelete